Genesis of Shinko Electric Industries Co., Ltd. lies in the chaos of post-war Japan in 1946, when the recycling business of household lightbulbs started as a small factory. From there our expertise spread to semiconductors, leading to a massive turning point as our operations developed overseas. Today, we strive to develop global businesses together with our customers all around the world.
This progress charts our history of constantly striving for technological innovation and breaking into new markets, in the semiconductor industry from dawn to development.
Thanks to capital funding from Fujitsu Ltd., the Kurita Plant was opened in 1957 as we newly expanded our operations into the semiconductor field. In 1959, we commenced the shipping of glass-to-metal seals for transistors (TOI1) from this new plant. Furthermore, we also partnered with GTI, a US company, in order to introduce state-of-the-art glass-to-metal seal manufacturing technology, thus laying the framework for future technological endeavors.
Our director and other members who traveled to GTI (1961)
“Nagano Katei Denki Saisei-jo”, which was founded in February 1946 with the main goal of recycling household lightbulbs, is the predecessor of us. On the back of strong demand, the company reorganized and renamed itself as Shinko Electric Industries Co., Ltd. on September 12, 1946 just in the seventh month of its operation.
7th anniversary ceremony (1953)
In 1976, we opened a representative office in California to begin our overseas expansion, which has since seen our sales locations grow to other locations within the United States, the countries of Southeast Asia, South Korea, China, Europe, and more. Additionally, we established manufacturing companies in South Korea, Malaysia and other country as we forged a global network that offered products and services suiting our customers’ needs.
Korea Shinko Microelectronics Co., Ltd.
Shinko Electronics (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
In order to acquire what would become the key technologies for the mass production of leadframes, we dispatched our engineers to Fujitsu Ltd. to learn more about die technologies. Despite the extreme difficulty our engineers faced at that time, we managed to start stamping processing of leadframes using precision dies. Afterward, distribution for our first leadframe for IC use (DIP-17) began in 1969, leading to top-class shares based on our variety of technologies.
September 12, 1996, marked the 50th anniversary of our founding. On September 2nd, ten days prior on the 50th anniversary, we were listed in the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange. A commemoration party was held in Nagano City. Our group employees both domestic and abroad gathered to celebrate this turning point for our company and listing the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
50th anniversary ceremony
With the need for lower costs and against the backdrop of attention paid to plastic used as a packaging material for the installation of high-performance ICs, we have dealt with the development of multilayered leadframes from 1987 and then started supplying them for CPUs. In 1994, in order to respond to the needs for higher speed and higher performance, we have started the development of plastic laminated packages (PLP) based on our multilayered printed-circuit board technology.
Wakaho plant (as of 1996)
The Kurita Plant, which once served as our main plant and company headquarters, had played a crucial role as our manufacturing base for nearly half a century since its opening. At the time of the plant’s opening, the surrounding area was characterized by wide fields and a quiet countryside. However, the plant was completely demolished after considering our relationship with local communities and the effects rapid urban development had on the environment. In 2004, the plant was reborn as the “Kurita Sogo Center”, featuring museums and a hall that stand within a green space. It now serves as a place rich in nature where community members enjoy relaxing.
Through the application and evolution of various elemental technologies cultivated since our founding, we have established a unique corporate platform as an integrated manufacturer of semiconductor packages, expanding and doing business with major players in the global semiconductor and electronics industries. We currently have 12 locations in Japan as well as 21 locations overseas, allowing our network to contribute to our customers’ business.
Shinko Electric Industries is the name given by our first president, Koji Okuda. The name’s origin lies in a deep desire to aim for resurgence in the new, post-war Japan. “Shinko” means “new light”, which carries the connotations of “hope” and “future”.
First logo mark (established in 1967)
Our exports started with an order received by then-executive managing director Mitsunobu at a restaurant in California, USA. An employee from a US company placed an order with us over a meal, and our local sales agent joining the meal jotted down the notes on a paper napkin with a pencil. From this order, we started shipping glass-to-metal seals to their factory in South Korea in 1971.
Notes written on a paper napkin