70th ANNIVERSARY

UNTERCONNECTING OUR FUTURE.

Linking 70 Years of History to the Future

Message from the President

On the 70th Anniversary of Our Founding,
A Message of Appreciation and a Few Words on Our Aspirations for the Future from the President and Representative Director, Mitsuharu Shimizu.

SCROLL

2016-2006

Supporting the nascent development of
loT and coming innovations in semiconductors.

With advances in communications technology,
opening the door to the interconnection of things.

Continuing to pursue the world's top-level
manufacturing and technical capabilities, we remain
committed to "Progress without Limits."

2015

Kurita Sogo Center receives the 28th Nagano-City Landscape Award.

IC Assembly Division gains ISO/TS16949 certification.

Received The Next-Generation Approval Mark (Special Certification) based on the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next-Generation Children.

Cu pillar MCeP

2014

Began large-scale production of Cu pillars.

Named Mitsuharu Shimizu the 10th President and Representative Director.

Began large-scale production of MCePs.

2013

Began applying the Global Business Standards (GBS).

Took over the equipment manufacturing business of Shin-Etsu Fujitsu Ltd. (now Fujitsu Interconnect Technologies Ltd.).

2012

Leadframe Division operations gain ISO/TS16949 certification.

Supported the 50th National Skills Competition and 33rd National Abilympics as a Gold Sponsor.

2011

Named Fumio Kuraishi the 9th President and Representative Director.

Presented with the SCQI and QOS+ awards by Intel Corporation.

2010

Established the SHINKO Way.

Began large-scale production of DLL3 Coreless Substrates(an industry-first).

2009

Embarked on joint development of a high-speed ASIC substrate with IBM.

2008

Nagano Prefecture Governor, Jin Murai, visits the Wakaho Plant.

2007

Received The Next-Generation Approval Mark based on the Act on Advancement of Measures to Support Raising Next-Generation Children.

2006

Ceremony commemorating the 60th anniversary of the establishment of SHINKO ELECTRIC INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.

Consolidated the Research & Development Division at the SHINKO R&D Center.

NEXT:2005-1986

2005-1986

Continuing to provide solutions
for the technological challenges wrought by
the acceleration of digitalization.

Smaller, thinner, lighter... As semiconductors have continued to evolve,
our founding legacy of making what customers need has remained a vital part of who we are
and is why we have devoted so much attention to listening to the market.

2005

Presented with the SCQI award by Intel Corporation for the fifth year in a row.

2004

Announced the opening of the Kurita Sogo Center (formerly the Kurita Plant).

Named Mamoru Kuroiwa the 8th President and Representative Director.

Took over the electrostatic chuck business of Fujitsu Integrated Microtechnology Ltd. (now J-Devices Corporation).

2003

Developed a lead-free approach for making laser diode caps.

Relocated the head office from the Kurita Plant to the Kohoku Plant.

Began redevelopment of the Kurita Plant.

Began production innovation activities.

2002

Opened the SHINKO R&D Center in Kitaowaribe, Nagano-City (within the Nagano Plant of Fujitsu Ltd.).

2000

Completed the cogeneration system (combined heat and power generation) at the Takaoka Plant.

Developed thin-layer plating technology for palladium-plated leadframes.

1998

Began manufacturing HS using a forging press (Manufacturing via transfer-type forging press began in 2001).

Takaoka Plant gains the ISO14001 international environmental management certification. Other plants later gained the same certification as well.

Terminated lamp operations.

1996

Listed shares on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Ceremony commemorating the 50th anniversary of the establishment of SHINKO ELECTRIC INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.

BGA

1995

Named Junichi Mogi the 7th President and Representative Director.

Began assembly of BGAs (Ball Grid Arrays).

PLP

1994

Established the Environmental Charter (later renamed the "Environmental Policy")

Ceased all usage of chlorine-based organic solvents.

Began development of PLP (Plastic Laminated Package).

1993

Opened the Kyogase Plant in
Kyogase-Village (now Agano-City), Niigata Prefecture.

1992

Takekio Mitsunobu, Senior Executive Adviser and former president, passes away.

Total number of employees exceeds 4,000.

1991

Opened the Wakaho R&D Center (now the Wakaho Plant) in Nagano-City, Nagano Prefecture.

1990

Created the Company logo.
(Adopted VI)

Established SHINKO ELECTRONICS (MALAYSIA) SDN.BHD. (SEM).

1989

Named Sadao Inoue the 6th President and Representative Director.

Jointly developed a multilayered leadframe with a US semiconductor manufacturer.

Began manufacturing thin-film ceramic packaging.

1988

Began running television advertising.

1987

Named Yukimaro Kawatani the 5th President and Representative Director.

Established KOREA SHINKO MICROELECTRONICS Co., Ltd. (KSM).

1986

Ceremony commemorating the 40th anniversary of the establishment of SHINKO ELECTRIC INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.

NEXT:1985-1966

1985-1966

In the period of rapid economic growth,
we supported the Japanese semiconductor industry
and expanded our business to the world market.

With superior semiconductor package technology applied in products
used in all walks of life, not only in Japan but across the world,
we have played a significant part in building prosperous societies.

1985

Total number of employees exceeds 3,000.

1984

Listed shares on the Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Increased paid-in capital to 7.128 billion yen.

Total number of employees exceeds 2,000.

PGA

1982

Began manufacturing ceramic PGA (Pin Grid Array) packages.

Began manufacturing
glass-to-metal seals for laser diodes.

1980

Opened the Takaoka Plant in Nakano-City, Nagano Prefecture.

1979

Total number of employees exceeds 1,000.

Began assembling cerdip ICs.

1978

Opened the Arai Plant in Arai-City (now Myoko-City), Niigata Prefecture.

1977

Established SHINKO ELECTRIC AMERICA, INC. (SEA) in the US state of California.

1976

Established the International Sales & Marketing Department.

Began manufacturing precision contact parts and ceramic surge arrestors.

MICRO LAMP

1975

Began manufacturing microlamps.

1974

Affected by the oil shock through to 1975.

Developed continuous plating equipment.

Nagano Prefecture Governor, Gonichiro Nishizawa, visits the Plant.

1971

Established an export division with the start of
full-scale export operations.

1970

Named Takekio Mitsunobu the 4th President and Representative Director.

Began manufacturing multilayered ceramic packaging.

DIP-17

1969

Began manufacturing the "DIP-17" IC leadframe.

1968

Began manufacturing cerdip leadframes.

Sent engineers to Fujitsu Ltd. for training in press-mold manufacturing technology.

1967

Created the Company's "SD mark" emblem.

DIP-10

1966

Installed a FACOM231 mainframe.

Began manufacturing DIP-10 packages, marking the start of IC package production by the Company.

NEXT:1965-1942

1965-1946

When the country was getting back on its feet after the war,
we lit the future through manufacturing.

SHINKO ELECTRIC INDUSTRIES CO., LTD. got its start recycling household lightbulbs.
That was our first step in rising to the challenge of building connections among people,
throughout the world, and to the future.

TETSUO ABE / THE MAINICHI NEWSPAPERS

1964

Named Shohei Sato the 3rd President and Representative Director.

1963

Sent engineers to GTI, a US company, for training in plating technology.

Opened the Kohoku Plant in Kohoku-village, Sarashina-gun(now Oshimada-machi, Nagano-City), Nagano Prefecture.

1961

Began publishing SHINKO News, the company newsletter.

Sent Takekio Mitsunobu (then Executive Managing Director) to GTI, a US company, to observe both large-scale production technology for glass-to-metal seals and plating technology for later adoption by the Company.

Began assembling television tuners.

1960

Formed the Shinko Labor Union.

1959

Relocated the head office to the Kurita Plant.

Began supplying TO-1 glass-to-metal seals for transistors to Kobe Kogyo Corporation (now Fujitsu Ten Ltd.).

1957

Increased paid-in capital to 8 million yen with an investment by Fujitsu Ltd., to expand into the field of semiconductors.

Opened the Kurita Plant in Nagano-City, Nagano Prefecture.

Began assembling relay components and manufacturing neon lamps.

1955

Relocated the head office to Itabashi-ku, Tokyo.

Named Shigo Shinoda the 2nd President and Representative Director.

1953

Began manufacturing glass-to-metal seals for diodes.

1950

The economic boom caused a surge in demand of No.2 lamps.

1949

Relocated the head office to Ota-ku, Tokyo.

1948

Succeeded in productizing No. 2 lamps for use in telecommunication equipment.

Began supplying No.2 lamps to Fujitsu Ltd.
The following year, began supplying the Japan Ministry of Telecommunications (now Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT)).

1947

Began manufacturing ring tubes and mercury switches.

1946

Took over the facilities and workforce of Nagano Branch of Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.'s Research Department and established Nagano Katei Denki Saisei-jo as a limited partnership.

Reorganized and renamed Nagano Katei Denki Saisei-jo, creating SHINKO ELECTRIC INDUSTRIES CO., LTD.

Named Koji Okuda the 1st President and Representative Director.

1944

Fuji Electric Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (now Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.) borrowed Fujitsu Ltd.'s Nagano Works in Ishido, Nagano-City, to use it as Nagano Branch of Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.'s Research Department.

1942

Fuji Tsushinki Manufacturing Co., Ltd. (now Fujitsu Ltd.) began manufacturing lamps for telephone exchanges in Ishido, Nagano-City.